Orthopedic Dental Treatment for Children
Orthopedics is a specialized area of dentistry that deals with the prevention or correction of irregularities of the teeth and/or bite alignment. The goal of this treatment is to guide facial development and growth, typically in the jaw bones so that the teeth line up normally.
Early treatment allows preventing the problems from either developing or worsening. Early treatment is based on arriving at the cause of the problem and addressing the issue rather than simply treating the problem after it has developed. Orthopedic treatment has become one of the best preventative treatment modalities for children.
As mentioned above, children are the best candidates for this type of treatment typically up to age 11. After age 11 and in adults, it is much more difficult to correct the abnormalities because the jaw bones are fully formed and hardened. Usually, surgery needs to be performed. It is for this reason that it is vital for children to see a specialist in dental orthopedics by no older than 11 years of age.
Some of the benefits of orthopedic treatment are the following:
- Minimize or eliminate severe bad bites
- Improve facial appearance and the child’s self esteem
- Reduce protrusion (buck teeth) to decrease chance of injury
- Reduce the need or minimize the number of permanent teeth extracted
- Improve the alignment of the upper to the lower jaw
- Decrease or eliminate adverse habits such as thumb sucking or tongue thrusting during swallowing as the dental arches are developing making more room for the tongue
- Make the orthodontic (braces) treatment easier/shorter or eliminate the treatment altogether
- Improve nasal breathing and improve health
- Prevent headache and ear ache
Dr. Brenda is one of the leading experts in the field of orthopedics and has performed this treatment on children as young as one year of age. She is trained and certified in this specialty and attends many hours of continuing education to ensure that she has the most current, relevant information to effect the best possible outcomes for her patients. Also, Dr. Brenda utilizes different types of equipment to help facilitate the treatment and uses a high quality lab to make the pieces unique for each patient’s needs.
During an oral evaluation, if Dr. Brenda recommends an orthopedic treatment for your child, she will provide a detailed explanation of the treatment including the type of equipment that will be ordered and tailored to your child. She will take the time to answer all of your questions or concerns.
Pricing for Orthopedic Dental Treatment (Children):
Plans as low as $50 per month and a one-time down payment of $300.